Lt. Col. Roy T. Nieukirk Jr. is the commander of the 264th Combat Communications Squadron, Peoria Air National Guard Base, Ill. His three subordinate work centers are responsible for providing activation of voice and data services to support contingencies, initializing or termination of communication support at expeditionary air bases, and providing communication support in support of domestic disaster response command and control functions.
Lt. Col. Nieukirk began his military career in 1995 by enlisting in the Illinois Air National Guard as a C-130 Hercules crew chief with the 182nd Logistics Support Group. He deployed as a flight line crew chief for Operation Iraqi Freedom. Lt. Col. Nieukirk commissioned as an officer in 2004 after graduating from the Academy of Military Science and served as the 182nd Maintenance Group quality assurance officer in charge.
Lt. Col. Nieukirk served in many additional capacities throughout his career, including 182nd Maintenance Operations Flight commander and the 182nd Airlift Wing inspector general, Guard Inspector General Council secretary and J6 for Northern Strike 2016. He has participated in broad missions such as Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom and the State Partnership Program with the Republic of Poland. Prior to his current position, the lieutenant colonel was the inspector general, 182nd Airlift Wing, Peoria, Ill.
1999 Bachelor of Arts, Management, University of Illinois, Springfield
2003 Master of Business Administration, University of Illinois, Springfield
2004 Air National Guard Academy of Military Science, Air University, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
2009 Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2012 AF Smart Operations for the 21st Century Black Belt Certification Course, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2019 Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. January 1995–August 1997, Aircraft Mechanic, 182nd Logistics Support Group, Peoria, Ill.
2. August 1997–February 2003, Aircraft Mechanic, 182nd Maintenance Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
3. February 2003–November 2004, Aircraft Mechanic, 182nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
4. November 2004–April 2008, Officer In Charge, 182nd Maintenance Group, Peoria, Ill.
5. April 2008–December 2009, Officer In Charge, 182nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
6. December 2009–June 2010, Deputy Commander, 182nd Maintenance Group, Peoria, Ill.
7. June 2010–October 2014, Commander, 182nd Maintenance Operations Flight, Peoria, Ill.8. October 2014–August 2015, Officer in Charge, 182nd Logistics Readiness Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
9. August 2015–October 2015, Inspector General, 182nd Airlift Wing, Peoria, Ill.
10. October 2015–Present, Commander, 264th Combat Communications Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with five oak leaf clusters
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Illinois Military Long and Honorable Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Illinois Military Attendance Medal with “10” device
1998 Outstanding Airman of the Year, 182nd Airlift Generation Squadron
2000 Outstanding NCO of the Year, 182nd Maintenance Squadron
2000 Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
2004 Cisco Certified Network Associate
2005 Project Management Professional
2016 Air Force Continuous Process Improvement Black Belt
2016 Certified Information Systems Security Professional
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
National Guard Association of Illinois (lifetime member)
National Guard Association of the United States (lifetime member)
Tremont Lions Club
Tremont Triathlon Club (president)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 19, 2004
First Lieutenant Nov. 19, 2006
Captain Nov. 19, 2008
Major Jan. 8, 2013
Lieutenant Colonel May 6, 2017
(Current as of January 2020)