Collapse All Expand All

How do I find out what will be expected of me at basic training?

For information on basic military training, visit the U.S. Air Force Basic Training web page.


How do I join the Air National Guard?

The first step in joining the Air National Guard is to talk to a Recruiter. You can do that through the Air National Guard web site or call them at 1-800-ToGoANG (1-800-864-6264). You can also chat with a recruiter live by clicking on the "Chat"button.


How do I talk with an Online Recruiting Chat Operator? 

The Air National Guard's recruitment web site features Online Chat Operators who can assist you with any questions you may have for ANG. ANG chat operators are available Monday thru Thursday, 11:00am-10:00pm EST and Friday 8:00am-5:00pm EST. Click on "Chat" in the menu options to access.

I have questions about the Air National Guard or the National Guard Bureau. How do I get answers? 

National Guard Almanac (30th Ed, 2004), Copies can be purchased for $8.50 + $3.50 shipping. Contact: UNIFORMED SERVICES ALMANAC, INC., P.O. Box 4144-Z, Falls Church, VA 22044-0144. Phone: 703-532-1631.


What are my benefits as a National Guardsman? 

For information on the benefits of being an Air Guardsman, visit the Air Reserve Personnel Center web site. 
 General Information

How can I contact military personnel? 

The Air Force World Wide Locator offered by the Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC) handles official and unofficial requests to locate Air Force Personnel. Official requests are defined as requests received from any government agency and the Department of Defense (DoD). All other requests are considered unofficial in nature. 

The Air Force World Wide Locator only has location information on individuals who are currently receiving compensation from the USAF (Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, Retired, and Civil Service Personnel). If the individual has separated from the Air Force, no information is available. To obtain or find out more information about the service, you can contact AFPC at: 

550 C Street West Suite 50 
Randolph AFB TX 78150-4752 Phone: 
Commercial (210) 565-2660 
Military to Military DSN 665-2660 Customer Service Hours: 
Monday - Friday (except Federal Holidays) 
7:30 AM - 4:30 PM (Central Standard Time) e-mail: 

If you need to contact a military member for emergency purposes, call your local Red Cross chapter, click on "Your local Red Cross" and enter your zip code.


How can I obtain copies of my military records? 

Individual military departments, including the Air Force, do not maintain files or records pertaining to individuals no longer on active duty. When an individual is separated from military service (because of retirement, discharge from active duty or death), his/her Field Personnel File (containing all military and health records) is forwarded for storage to the National Personnel Records Center (Military). The Records Center is under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) of the United States Government. 

An individual's complete service record is available to the former service member or, if deceased, to his/her next of kin (parents, spouse or children). Limited information (such as dates of service, awards, and training) is available to anyone. Not available to the general public is information which would invade an individual's privacy; for example, medical records, Social Security number or present address. 

If requesting the records of a relative, a requester should mention the relationship to the former member (brother, uncle, or other). There is no charge for this service to former service members or their next of kin. For others, a nominal fee is charged for research and reproduction costs. Files at the Records Center are maintained as historical records only and are not updated to reflect current data on the former service member. The address for the National Personnel Records Center is: 

National Personnel Records Center 
9700 Page Blvd 
St. Louis MO 63132 
Phone: 314-801-0800 or 1-866-272-6272 (1-86-NARA-NARA) For individuals compiling family histories, NARA provides assistance to those interested in genealogy. NARA normally charges a nominal fee for research and reproduction costs. Their address is: 

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) 
8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue 
Washington, DC 20408 


I would like to sell a product/service to the Air National Guard? 

Under the Federal Acquisition Regulations, any contracting opportunities/projects the National Guard undertakes are solicited via normal contracting procedures, including approval from the Acquisition Planning Board. 

To find out about contracting opportunities with the National Guard, log on to the Commerce Business Daily web site. All solicitations on behalf of the Guard can be found on that site.
 Public Information

How do I obtain a base decal? 

In 2007, the U.S. Air Force ended use of the base decal, officially called a DD Form 2220, on Air Force installations due to cost, a lack of utility and long-term threats facing bases. Read more


How do I request a flyover?

DoD policy limits flyovers to aviation-related public events such as airport dedications, aviation shows and air fairs. This policy allows flyovers for those events designed to encourage the advancement of aviation, and contribute to public knowledge of Air Force aviation equipment and facilities. Exceptions to this policy may be granted on a case by case basis. 

Non-aviation related events in observance of national patriotic holidays such as Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Veteran's Day and POW/MIA Day are eligible for a flyover. 

In order to have an event considered for approval, the following must be done: 

1. Log on to the Aviation Support website

2. Complete the DD Form 2535, Request for Aerial Support. Forms must be filled out completely. Completion instructions can be found on page 4 of the form. 

3. Once the requesting agency has completed their portion of the form, it must be faxed to the local FAA Flight Standards District Office. 

4. After the FSDO has cleared the event for a flyover, the form must be faxed to the California National Guard Community Relations office at 916.854.3630. The community relations office will review the form and begin the coordination process. This process takes at least 30 days, so get your requests in as early as possible. 

Visit the U.S. Air Force's Aerial Events Support website for more information and then call the 129th Rescue Wing Community Manager at (650) 603-9152.