Lt. Col. Charles D. Comfort is the commander of the 182nd Civil Engineer Squadron, 182nd Airlift Wing, Peoria Air National Guard Base, Peoria, Illinois. His squadron is comprised of Air National Guardsmen and State of Illinois employees primarily responsible for the operation of the installation facilities. His unit supports combatant commanders by deploying PRIME BEEF teams in support of contingency operations, as well as domestic operations during natural disasters and emergencies. His specific duties include the base civil engineer, base fire marshal and assistant U.S. property and fiscal officer for real estate.
Lt. Col. Comfort graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy with a bachelor of science degree in Civil Engineering in 2004. He has honorably served as an Air Force civil engineer officer overseas in Japan, Korea and Germany. His combat deployments include Iraq, Afghanistan, the Republic of the Philippines and multiple undisclosed locations in support of Operations Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, Freedom’s Sentinel and Resolute Support. In addition, Lt. Col. Comfort was selected for a Seabee officer exchange with U.S. Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 40 and instructed civil and environmental engineering at the U.S. Air Force Academy. He is a Defense Acquisitions Corps member, certified in Facilities Engineering Level III and Program Management Level II and has a professional engineer license from the state of Colorado.
Previous active duty Air Force command tours included the 799th Air Base Squadron and the 432nd Support Squadron at Creech Air Force Base in Las Vegas, Nevada — the epicenter of the U.S. Air Force remotely piloted aircraft enterprise. In this role, he was responsible for the civil engineer, communications, force support and logistics functions for the installation. In his previous role, the lieutenant colonel was the commander of the 156th Civil Engineer Squadron, Muñiz Air National Guard Base, Carolina, Puerto Rico.
2004 Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2004 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2010 Master of Science, Civil Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder
2012 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2016 Master of Business, Administration, Columbia Southern University, Orange Beach, Ala.
2021 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala, by correspondence
1. August 2004–May 2005, Chief, Construction Inspection, 374th Civil Engineer Squadron, Yokota Air Base, Japan
2. May 2005–May 2006, Chief, Plans and Programs, 374th Civil Engineer Squadron, Yokota AB, Japan
3. May 2006–August 2006, Chief, Infrastructure Development, 374th Civil Engineer Squadron, Yokota AB, Japan
4. August 2006–August 2007, Chief, Airfield Project Management, 51st Civil Engineer Squadron, Osan AB, Korea
5. August 2007–February 2008, Assistant Operations Commander, NMCB 40, Port Hueneme, Calif. (August 2007–March 2008, Assistant Operations Officer, NMCB 40, Southwest Asia)
6. February 2008–January 2009, Charlie Company Commander, NMCB 40, Port Hueneme, Calif.
7. January 2009–December 2010, Detachment Officer-In-Charge, NMCB 40, Republic of the Philippines
8. December 2010–January 2013, Instructor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
9. January 2013–May 2013, Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
10. May 2013–December 2013, Programs Flight Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
11. December 2013–June 2014, Deputy Base Civil Engineer, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
12. June 2014–December 2015, Deputy Chief, Nuclear Surety, Inspector General, U.S. Air Forces Europe
13. December 2015–June 2017, Chief of Strategic Plans, A4C, U.S. Air Forces Europe–Air Forces Africa (October 2016–May 2017, Chief of NATO Air Infrastructure, CJENG, HQ Resolute Support, Kabul, Afghanistan)
14. June 2017–October 2019, Commander, 799th Air Base Squadron and 432nd Support Squadron, Creech AFB, Nev.
15. October 2019–May 2021, Commander, 156th Civil Engineer Squadron, Carolina, Puerto Rico
16. May 2021–Current, Commander, 182nd Civil Engineer Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 2004
First Lieutenant June 2, 2006
Captain June 2, 2008
Major July 1, 2014
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2019
(CURRENT AS OF AUGUST 2021)