Chief Master Sgt. Peter P. Schussler is the senior enlisted leader of the 182nd Maintenance Operations Flight, 182nd Airlift Wing, in Peoria, Illinois. He is responsible to the maintenance group commander for the administration, analysis, training management and resources necessary to support the group’s aircraft production effort.
Chief Schussler entered the Air Force in 1986 and served as an inertial navigation system specialist with the 443rd Military Airlift Wing at Altus Air Force Base, Oklahoma. He spent three years maintaining C-5 Galaxy and C-141 Starlifter aircraft before joining the 440th Tactical Airlift Wing in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He started as a full-time technician in 1996. In 2002, Chief Schussler transferred to the 182nd Airlift Wing, Peoria, Illinois.
In 2019, Chief Schussler was mobilized in support of Operations Freedom’s Sentinel and Inherent Resolve, where he served as the quality assurance superintendent for the 455th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar. In 2020, Chief Schussler was deployed to Ramstein Air Base, Germany, as the aircraft maintenance superintendent in support of Operation Silver Arrow and Operation Allies Refuge. Prior to his current position, the chief master sergeant was the chief inspector of quality assurance for the 182nd Maintenance Group, Peoria, Illinois.
1995 Noncommissioned Officer Leadership Development, 440th Airlift Wing, Milwaukee, Wis.
1997 Associate of Applied Science, Avionic Systems Technology, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2002 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Air University, Montgomery, Ala.
2009 Associate of Liberal Arts, Illinois Central College, Peoria
2019 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Level I, Joint Knowledge Online, Suffolk, Va.
2019 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Level II, Joint Knowledge Online, Suffolk, Va.
2022 Chief Master Sergeant Orientation Course, National Guard Bureau, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
1. May 1987–January 1990, Inertial Navigation System Specialist, 443d Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Altus AFB, Okla.
2. June 1991–April 1993, Communication Navigation System Specialist, 440th Maintenance Squadron, Milwaukee, Wis.
3. April 1993–May 1994, Guidance and Control System Specialist, 152nd Maintenance Squadron, Reno, Nev.
4. November 1994–September 1998, Communication Navigation System Specialist, 440th Maintenance Squadron, Milwaukee, Wis.
5. September 1998–February 2002, Quality Assurance Specialist, 440th Maintenance Group, Milwaukee, Wis.
6. February 2002–November 2010, Guidance and Control Shop Chief, 182nd Maintenance Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
7. November 2010–November 2020, Quality Assurance, 182nd Maintenance Group, Peoria, Ill.
8. November 2020–Present, Senior Enlisted Leader, 182nd Maintenance Operations Flight, Peoria, Ill.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air and Space Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air and Space Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Illinois Long and Honorable Military Service Medal
Illinois Military Attendance Ribbon with “3” device
2000 Federal Employee of the Year, Federal Executives Association
2001 22 AF Lieutenant General Leo Marquez Civilian Technician of the Year
2001 Richard I. Bong Award Recipient
2008 Top Shop Award, Logistics Standardization and Evaluation Team Inspection
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
National Guard Association of Illinois (lifetime member)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman First Class Nov. 1, 1987
Senior Airman July 1, 1989
Staff Sergeant March 18, 1993
Technical Sergeant Jan. 1, 1999
Master Sergeant March 1, 2001
Senior Master Sergeant Feb. 7, 2016
Chief Master Sergeant Feb. 6. 2021
(CURRENT AS OF JUNE 2022)