Senior Master Sgt. Bradley B. Wheeler is the human resource advisor at the 182nd Airlift Wing, Peoria, Illinois. He is responsible for diversity, equity, inclusion and access programs and training, professional development training, and wing’s mentoring program. He is a key advisor to wing leadership regarding all issues relating to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access and leads the wing diversity council.
Senior Master Sgt. Wheeler enlisted in the Illinois Air National Guard in February 1999 and completed vehicle operations technical training in December 2000. He deployed multiple times in support of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom, as well as mobilized for multiple Illinois domestic operation responses. Senior Master Sgt. Wheeler gained vast experience in the vehicle maintenance and vehicle operations career fields before becoming a first sergeant with the 182nd Mission Support Group in 2015 and then the 182nd Airlift Wing in 2019, where he was responsible for the health, morale, welfare and other personnel issues and advised commanders on all enlisted issues. He was then selected to become the wing’s the human resource advisor in 2022.
Senior Master Sgt. Wheeler actively serves his community, having served in multiple roles in childhood cancer research fundraising, his children’s parent-teacher club and his church’s education and finance committees. He is also a volunteer for Court Appointed Special Advocates for the Tenth Judicial Circuit, where he advocates for children involved in the court system. Prior to his current position, the senior master sergeant was a first sergeant with the 182nd Airlift Wing, Peoria, Illinois.
2003 Airman Leadership School, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2007 Associate of Applied Science, Transportation Management, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Associate of Applied Science, Vehicle Maintenance, CCAF, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 Bachelor of Arts, Interdisciplinary Studies, Governors State University, University Park, Ill.
2016 United States Air Force First Sergeant Academy, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education I, Joint Knowledge Online, Suffolk, Va., by correspondence
2018 Associate of Applied Science, Human Resource Management, CCAF, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. February 1999–October 2008, Vehicle Operations Specialist, 182nd Logistics Readiness Squadron, Peoria, Ill. (July 2003–November 2003, Vehicle Operations Craftsman, 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia; August 2005–February 2006, Vehicle Operations Craftsman, 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia; June 2008– June 2008, Vehicle Operator, Flood Response Domestic Operations Response, Illinois National Guard, Quincy, Ill.)
2. October 2008–April 2012, Vehicle Maintenance Specialist, 182nd Logistics Readiness Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
3. April 2012–October 2015, Vehicle Operations NCO in Charge, 182nd Logistics Readiness Squadron, Peoria, Ill.
4. October 2015–January 2019, First Sergeant, 182nd Mission Support Group, Peoria, Ill.
5. January 2019–December 2022, First Sergeant, 182nd Airlift Wing, Peoria, Ill. (March 2020–May 2020, First Sergeant, COVID-19 Domestic Operations Response, Illinois National Guard, Springfield, Ill.)
6. December 2022–Present, Human Resource Advisor, 182nd Airlift Wing, Peoria, Ill.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Abraham Lincoln Medal of Freedom
Illinois Military Long and Honorable Service Medal three oak leaf clusters
Illinois Military Attendance Ribbon with “12” device
Illinois State Active Duty Service Ribbon
2009 Distinguished Graduate, Special Purpose Vehicle Maintenance Apprentice Course
2014 NCO of the Year, 182nd Logistics Readiness Squadron
2014 Honor Guard Member of the Year, Illinois Air National Guard
2015 Awarded Baccalaureate Summa Cum Laude, Governors State University
2018 First Sergeant of the Year, 182nd Airlift Wing
2021 First Sergeant of the Year, 182nd Airlift Wing
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
182nd Airlift Wing First Sergeant Council
Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the United States (lifetime member)
National Guard Association of Illinois (lifetime member)
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 5921 (lifetime member)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman First Class Feb. 7, 1999
Senior Airman Sept. 8, 2001
Staff Sergeant Sept.11, 2003
Technical Sergeant April 2, 2012
Master Sergeant April 6, 2014
Senior Master Sergeant Jan. 13, 2019
(Current as of April 2023)